Friday, November 13, 2009

Kingdom of God


On a gloomy Saturday morning, suddenly I heard the doorbell ring. I was getting ready to go out and wasn’t expecting anyone at that time. So a little confused, I opened the door and saw an elderly lady and a cheerful young man. They both greeted me and the young man asked me the question “What do you think is the cause for all the chaos in the world”. Though I wanted to dismiss them right away and carry on with my plans, I couldn’t do it because of the lady. Something gentle in her eyes stopped me. So I answered saying how people are living senselessly and in their pursuit of happiness, destroying everything around them. The young man was encouraged by my answer and he started explaining to me about how god prophesied that such things would happen and started showing quoted texts from the bible. I am not a religious person and my way is that the kingdom of god is with in and there is no need to go to any temple or church in search of god. I see god or what ever that I hold as the highest in everything around me, in the whole existence. I keep myself open to different philosophies. So I was listening to the young man and in the end, he gave me a book to read and thanked me for my time.

I may not agree with what he said but what touched me the most was that they took the initiative to spread the message. The message may not be that important to me; they were deeply touched by something and they wanted to reach out to others so others can also benefit from their experience. They were willing to take the step despite other people’s reactions to them. I was humbled by their willingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment